AUTHOR: Alisha TITLE: Make a Statement DATE: 9/03/2004 06:59:00 AM ----- BODY:
I have a little folder of awful artist statements here at home. Some were written by friends. A couple were picked up at art exhibits. And, (Shh... don't tell anyone!) a few were written by me at a time when I was suffering from art-school-speak. I am a firm believer that artist statements, while a requirement in some segments of the art world, are a crucial exercise for ALL artists and craftspeople. If you are a painter, you need an artist statement. If you are a goldsmith, you don't NEED an artist statement. You should, however, try to write one. Statements give you practical experience talking about your work, allowing you to step between your studio and a collector's home. While a craft fair or art exhibit will allow you to get direct feedback, only the process of writing about your work (even if you consider yourself a poor writer) will allow you to find the right terms to talk plainly about it. Artist statements should always tell more about your work and your connection to the making process. Some are structured as more of a biography and others dig beneath the surface of the work and give insight into what was informing or motivating the artist in the studio. I have met more than my fair share of craftsmen that talk about their work in technical terminology to rival any IT geek. I have had my fill of fine artists who use glamorous, romantic language that could give Danielle Steel a run for her money. Enough already! Help me reach my goal of ridding the planet of stereotype-generating artsy monologues and visit the following sites for a 'brush up' before drafting your next artist statement: Approach I - More of Approach I Approach II
----- --------