AUTHOR: Alisha TITLE: Art Show Essentials DATE: 9/16/2004 06:37:00 PM ----- BODY:
Today I write to you from Austin, Texas: the bat capitol of America, the live music capitol of the World, or the capitol of Texas. You choose which you want to consider it. For me, it is the ‘live music capitol’ through the weekend, as I’m here to attend a music festival.* Only on DAY 1, I have already made a mental list of all the great things festival planners are doing right. Especially of note is the accessibility of: Water Bathrooms Information – Help The Bands Food Good Weather A festival is successful if the people attending have easy access to all of the above. If even one area is lacking, you feel deprived or, minimally, annoyed by the poor planning. If you are selling your artwork in an indoor OR outdoor environment there are, similarly, several crucial things you should always cross-check for accessibility. If you don’t have one of the items on this specific list… you are failing to prepare. And, if you can’t give the selling experience 100%, you are essentially gambling your money away. Again, these are in no order of importance. They are, however, all equally important to selling at an indoor or outdoor art show. You, as the artist and salesperson, should ensure the accessibility of: Your most affordably priced work Prices for everything saleable in your booth A clear booth entrance A clear booth exit The back of your booth Legible signage with your name, company name, or logo You – The artist or craftsperson I will write more about these specific needs in the coming weeks. I will also address the difference between high-end and low-end, a question that has been personally emailed to me several times now. Please feel free to share any other crucial items you would put on your personal booth list in the comment section at the end of this post. *To learn more about the event I am here to sweat my way through in 96+ degree weather, visit the Austin City Limits festival web site.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Luann Udell DATE:9/22/2004 12:49:00 PM From personal experience, if your work is not instantly understandable--the materials or techniques are puzzling or intriguing--I appreciate it if the artist is willing to BRIEFLY explain it, or have a handy sign explaining what's going on.

I once asked an ACC artist if his fascinating sculptures were painted tin or painted wood. He glared at me and turned his back without saying a word. As you can imagine, I didn't even get to ask my second question, which was "and how much do they cost, because if they are at all affordable, I'm absolutely buying one because I love them." ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR:Blogger Barbara J Carter DATE:10/08/2004 05:11:00 PM I'm looking forward to hearing more about each of the booth essentials you've listed. In particular, I'm curious about the "booth exit".

My only addition to the list would be a "hero" piece. ----- --------